To be a leading, innovative port focused on economic opportunities which benefit Columbia County’s future generations.
- Foster local opportunities to create and sustain jobs;
- Diversify regional economy;
- Provide improved financial return;
- Use maritime, aviation, industrial, recreational sites, and Port resources to support local and international commerce; and
- Maintain environmental assets in the Port District.
The Port of St Helens was created in 1940 under Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) Chapter 777 in order to pursue economic development activities. The district encompasses all land for a depth of about 6 miles from the banks of the County’s 51-mile Columbia River frontage. The Port District comprises just under half of the County’s land area and includes the communities of Scappoose, St. Helens, Columbia City, Rainier and Clatskanie.
Today, the Port of St Helens offers a variety of sites for industrial development in its portfolio of about 2,400 acres of land, including sites with excellent highway, rail and river access, and a deep water dock at Port Westward for maritime access to the Pacific Ocean. The Port currently manages 11 different property sites including the Scappoose Industrial Airpark and the Scappoose Bay Marine Park.